Date: June 2018
Position: Fisheries Improvement Advisor – Philippines (based in Philippines)
Term: 7 months
1) Project Need:
Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) is recruiting a Fisheries Improvement Advisor in the Philippines under the GEF funded Global Sustainable Supply Chains for Marine Commodities Project (GMC).
SFP has a mission to mobilize the global seafood industry to become a powerful force for positive change in fisheries management. Consequently, the GMC project aims to contribute to the transformation of seafood markets by promoting sustainability in the value chain of important commodities from the Philippines, introducing tools such as sustainable purchasing policies for business and supporting sustainable marine commodities platforms. The project will also promote fishery improvement projects (FIPs), assist in building national capacities for fishery management, and promote lessons that have been learned from the activities of the GMC.
2) Consultant activities/deliverables:
Reporting to the Latin America Director/SFP Global Marine Commodities Project (GMC) Coordinator, the consultant will:
- Facilitate and support the work of the Fishery Improvement Project working group of the National Marine Commodities Platform.
- Take and disseminate minutes of FIP working groups meetings.
- Closely coordinate the work of SFP’s GMC project with the UNDP Platform Coordinator and Platform members, including government authorities.
- Provide training sessions and regular mentoring to relevant stakeholders regarding FIP planning, development and implementation.
- Provide support for the initiation of Fishery Improvement Projects as required.
- Coordinate and provide technical advice to FIP implementers in country when required.
- Monitor performance of relevant FIPs and contribute to FIP evaluations.
- Gather relevant information related to the science and management of specific fisheries and provide input to fisheries evaluations.
- Gather information as required to ensure the effectiveness of project interventions and the development of new FIPs.
- Develop the analysis of supply chains of relevant seafood products and mobilize suppliers to ensure the initiation and adequate progress of FIPs.
- Work to engage buyers in contributing to the improved sustainability performance of in country fisheries.
- Generate relevant analysis on fisheries sustainability performance and brief relevant stakeholders (for instance, participants in supply chain roundtables and FIP implementers).
- Provide input in regular work planning, monitoring and reporting of the GMC project.
- Organize events and meetings as required and provide logistical support in country to SFP activities.
- Support the project by performing other duties as requested by SFP.
- Must be based in the Philippines (no relocation)
- Advanced university degree in fisheries related field
- At least five years of relevant experience in fisheries, ocean conservation and management or related field
- Fluency in written and oral English and knowledge of Filipino
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated capacity to work under minimal supervision and under tight deadlines
- Familiarity with the advanced use of information systems for remote working
- Possession of a strong professional network in the Philippines in relevant areas as related to the responsibilities of the position
- Capacity to build positive relationships with fisheries stakeholders at all levels, including industry, governments and NGOs
Duration/Level of Effort: This is a 7-month, consulting contract. Extension may be possible.
Compensation: Competitive and based on experience; terms of pay to be based on a daily contract rate or fixed-rate basis.
To Apply: Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a CV and letter of interest to [email protected] with subject line “Fishery Improvement Advisor - Philippines". Application deadline is 25 June 2018.