Last Update: December 2016
The South American Whitefish Supply Chain Roundtable brings together whitefish buyers, major suppliers, producers, and other parties to discuss South American whitefish fisheries of interest to the participants and in need of improvement.
In fishery improvement projects (FIPs) where responsibility for progressing and implementing improvements rest with a third party (i.e., a specific company or group of individuals) the roundtable provides support and encourages the fishery to make improvements. This support can take varying forms, from advising the fishery of existing or anticipated procurement conditions or (e.g., where additional influence is beneficial or essential) can extend to the supply chain engaging regulators or fishery managers to press for legislative change.
Supply Chain Roundtable Participants:
While the main suppliers and buyers of South American whitefish products are identified, there are no invitations and/or participants confirmed yet. Companies interested in becoming participants should email SFP.
FIPs and/or Fisheries Covered:
The South American Whitefish Supply Chain Roundtable focuses on a number of fisheries including Argentinian hake, hoki, and southern blue whiting; Peruvian hake; Chilean common and southern hake and hoki, and South America Patagonian toothfish.
The SR is currently looking for industry support for monitoring the performance of the following FIP:
For more details on the sustainability status of the fisheries, progress of the FIPs, and improvement recommendations, please click here.
• Formalize your participation in the roundtable.
- Review status of relevant whitefish stocks in the South American waters and identify improvement needs.
- Identify improvement work underway and in need of additional support.
- Discuss future partnership and cooperation opportunities to improve key fisheries.
- Motivate industry to initiate FIPs where improvements are still needed.
- Report progress of fishery improvement projects (FIPs) underway publicly according to FIP reporting template.
- Anticipate emerging issues, such as benthic habitat impacts and other protection needs.
- Oversee all the fishery improvement projects in scope of the Supply Chain Roundtable.
- Unify efforts on fishery improvement project activities that can be supported by suppliers throughout the region.
- Promote the design and implementation of fishery improvement projects where still needed.
Past Meetings: Three meetings have been organized by SFP to date:
SFP, as SR representative, attended the Brussels Seafood Exposition and met with Argentina’s new Undersecretary of Fisheries and Aquaculture to present SFP’s work and the SR model, with particular focus on further developing the SAWSR. The initiative was well received by the Undersecretary of Fisheries and he encouraged SFP to coordinate with the Consejo Federal Pesquero CFP (Argentinian Federal Fisheries Council) to organize a workshop in Argentina to introduce SFP and the SR model to the industry. The workshop is being planned for a date yet to be determined.
If you would like more information about the Supply Chain Roundtable or wish to support it, please contact SFP.